John Moore, 1643-1717. Presbyterian minister and tutor. He was born at Musbury, Devon and educated at Colyton, then at Brasenose College, Oxford. He was ordained into the Church of England, and was appointed to the living of Long Burton, Dorset in 1662. He resigned in 1667, and in 1672 was licensed as a Presbyterian minister. In 1676 he was appointed assistant to John Gardner, pastor to the Presbyterian meeting at Bridgwater: he succeeded him in 1679. Three years later saw the building of the present meeting house. He remained minister for thirty six years.
In 1688 he opened an academy in Bridgwater where nonconformist ministers were trained. It gained the reputation of being one of the best in the country. The students underwent a four year course in divinity, Latin, Greek, Hebrew and Natural Philosophy. The students went on to complete their studies at Scottish Universities. By 1698 Moore was assisted by his son John, who succeeded him on the former's death in 1717.
John Moore was a respected tutor, particularly in science.
Source: M.J. Mercer, ODNB article John Moore (bap 1743, d.1717) (2004)