Bridgwater Heritage Group

Village Churches
Bridgwater Archives Bridgwater Scientists Lost Bridgwater Friarn Research


St Mary's Meare

For further information, see Images of England and Victoria County History


Click on any image for a larger one
IMGP2270
IMGP2270
Meare churchyard. Not a war memorial, but a late -medieval cross
IMGP2288
IMGP2288
Meare church, with plaques describing relocation of late-medieval cross
IMGP2300
IMGP2300
Exceptional scroll ironwork with flowing foliage on the south door; 14th or 15th century.
IMGP2287
IMGP2287
Crown glass showing pronounced swirl marks and imperfections
IMGP2290
IMGP2290
Hagioscope or sqint through chancel arch, viewed from north aisle, with altar visible though raised in Victorian times
IMGP2296
IMGP2296
The hagioscope viewed from the chancel.
IMGP2291
IMGP2291
Chancel roof showing arch-braces and reticulated cusped wind-braces 14th century
IMGP2310
IMGP2310
Bracketed chandelier by Thomas Pyke of Bridgwater, 1777
IMGP2314
IMGP2314
Piscina on south wall by altar showing traces of blue colouring on left jamb
IMGP2318
IMGP2318
Perpendicular stone pulpit
IMGP2321
IMGP2321
Inscribed angel corbel in aisle
IMGP2332
IMGP2332
Angel corbel in south aisle
IMGP2297
IMGP2297
Medieval stand for later alms box
IMGP2298
IMGP2298
Royal Arms of 1840, by Edkins, Bristol hanging in the tower
IMGP2299
IMGP2299
Image of Christ in the tower

P. Cattermole. All Content © Bridgwater Heritage Group, unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved.

Comments on the site? Queries on Bridgwater history or heritage? Contributions to the site?
Contact us here.