A Ragged School, an institution for the free education of the poor, was opened here in 1860. An additional schoolroom was added in 1870. It was known at different times as the West Street National School, West Street Church of England or Trinity National. By 1947 it had become the Voluntary Controlled Primary School. Initially it was for both boys and girls, although for a time in the 1870s it became boys only, returning to boys and girls in 1889. In 1875 there were 169 children, in 1907 there were 284, in 1921 there were 152, 1947 there were 230. In 1958 it became St Matthew's Church of England school and moved in 1964 to Oakfield Avenue.
Bob Dunning, The Victoria County History of the County of Somerset, Volume 6 (Oxford, 1992)