The High Cross was located at the top of the High Street, roughly in front of Lloyds bank, straddling the current road. Crosses denoted places of controlled trade and the area of the Cornhill was the site of Bridgwater's principle medieval market. Crosses were often grand and elaborate as they expressed a town's pride and prosperity from trade. The area of this market was probably much larger when the town was initially laid out around 1200, but was subsequently encroached upon with buildings, the Cornhill market house possibly covering this area.
The High Cross itself is first mentioned in 1367 although with the existence of a market it is likely that a cross stood much earlier than this. It was extensively altered and rebuilt in 1567 to create the structure recorded by John Chubb around 1800, described below.
It was demolished in the early nineteenth century as part of the scheme to move the market inside a proposed new market building, the Cornhill. This was also to help ease traffic in the area; sadly not by any means the last time a piece of the town's heritage was sacrificed to help ease congestion.
From Pooley, C., The Old Stone Crosses of Somerset, London: Longman Green & Co, 1877
The site of the High, or Market Cross, as it went by both names, was on the Cornhill, opposite to the entrance
to High Street. It was an octagonal building in the Perpendiculr style of the late Fourteenth century, constructed
of eight obtusely pointed arches springing from lateral piers, and a central pillar supporting a roof, round which
ran a very deep embattled parapet pieced with quatrefoils, and ornamented with pinnacles, at the angles and
centre of each face. The horizontal mouldings were vigorous, as were those which adorned the spandril spaces,
and the curved faces of the arches.
It was surmounted by a sort of dove-cote construction which, together with the roof and upper part, were modern.
Probably the central pillar was carried up, in the original design, two or three tiers higher, and finished with
canopied niches and sculptured and pinnacles, in harmony with the style of architecture of the base.
The Cross was used as a market-place for the sale of many articles, especially of fish, and exhibited on one of
the pillars the appropriate admonition "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS". In the reign of Janes II, a grant was
made to supply the town with water, and a tank was accordingly erected on the building,
which, being filled by an engine from the Queen's Well, was thence distributed to the town.
The Cross was pulled down about fifty years ago. From the High Cross public addresses and proclamations were made;
to wit, the proclamation of the unfortunate Duke of Monmouth as king (in 1685) by Alexander Popham, Esq.,
the then mayor of Bridgewater, who on the occasion was accompanied to the Cross by the burgesses
in their robes of office.
The High Cross, as it might have originally been designed.
Lawrence, History of Bridgwater, (2005)
Powell, Bridgwater in the Later Days, (1908)
Dilks, Bridgwater Borough Archives 1200-1377, (1933)