Bridgwater Heritage Group
The Vicarage of St John, Eastover
The Vicarage on the 1929 OS 25 inch to the mile map of Bridgwater.
The vicarage of St. John's parish, Bridgwater was built at the same time as the new Gothic-Revival church in 1845 to provide accommodation for the clergy. It was a large house, after an extension in the later nineteenth century it contained some sixteen rooms, including a fine stone and wrought iron staircase and a full Victorian bathroom. In 1954 it was divided in two in order to provide accommodation for an additional curate. In the following decades, however, it fell into disrepair. Plans were drawn up to convert it into a hotel or small hospital, although these came to nothing. It was demolished in 1988. The extensive site, which included gardens and an orchard, has hence been redeveloped into a housing scheme.
A photograph of the Vicarage c.1893 from the Tennis Courts, showing the West facade. © Kindly supplied by Dave Bown.
St. John's Church, c.1901.
St John the Baptist Bridgwater 1840-1962 Pictures from the Past
All Content © Bridgwater Heritage Group, unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved, do not reproduce material without permission.
Comments on the site? Queries on Bridgwater history or heritage? Contributions to the site?
Contact us here.